The National Center for Cartography has a history of more than 50 years – period over which it has undergone several changes of name and has constantly enriched its field of activity.
The main activity of the institution is to provide specialized technical support to develop and update national geodetic and cartographic databases to fulfill the tasks of the National Agency for Cadastre and Land Registration and of its territorial offices. The activity of the institution represents a fundamental support in cartography for the whole territory of Romania.
Currently, the National Center for Cartography is involved in many important projects such as The National Cadastre and Land Book Program, TOPRO5 Romania's Topographic Reference Plan in Digital Format, The Determination of a New Gravimetric Quasigeoid for Romania, The Achievement and Implementation of Ortophotoplans for 150 Administrative-Territorial Units from Urban Environment (Bucharest and cities, municipalities and county seat municipalities), Performing Level Measurements, GNSS and Oceanographic Determinations of the tide gauges in Constanța, Mangalia, Sulina Ports for Tracking time variations of the Black Sea Level Compared to the Altitude „0”.
The National Cadastre and Land Book Programme is a very important project started in 2015, because it creates a unitary and mandatory system of technical, economic and legal evidence, of national importance, of all properties throughout Romania. The purpose of the NCLBP is to provide cadastral registration of all properties throughout Romania, free of charge, into an integrated system of cadastre and land book, to update cadastral documents and opening land books, all for free and to resolve rectification requests filed by owners.
ROMPOS is a Romanian Position Determination System that ensures precise positioning in the European Terrestrial Reference System 1989 (ETRS89). It uses signals from the following satellite systems: GPS, GLONASS and GALILEO using a network consisting of 75 CORS. The network is undergoing a continuous process of modernization, its prime objective being to provide services at the highest standards. In order to improve the quality of our positioning services in the border area of Romania, the National Center of Cartography signed data exchange agreements for GNSS real-time data with the neighboring countries: Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova and Bulgaria. Fields of application for ROMPOS are geodesy, cadaster, photogrammetry, remote sensing, geodynamics, disaster management, aerial, costal and river navigation.
The most important achievements of the National Center for Cartography are:
• Developing, maintaining and modernization of the geodetic network of Romania
• Realization of the Romanian high precision leveling network, compensation of the leveling network in the Baltic Sea reference plan, edition 1982
• Developing, modernization and maintaining the national geodetic network along with the Military Topographic Direction
• Implementation and maintenance of the Romanian high precision levelling network along with the Military Topographic Direction
• Execution of aerial photography works comprising 850.0000 original frames, covering large areas of the entire country
• Creating of the inventories and levelling date directories for 17.500 landmarks located on a length of approx. 19.000 km
• Creating and editing of the basis topographic plan in analog form at the scale 1:5000, 1:2000 through photogrammetric methods and achievements
• Realization and editing of various thematic maps for the entire territory of Romania including administrative map, physical-administrative map, hydrographic maps, water cadastre atlas, economic maps, physical-administrative maps by counties, touristic maps, pedological maps, weather-radar maps, navigation, and fishing maps.
• Updating the cadastral maps for 1:50.000 scale using remote sensing methods
• Developing plans in digital format, 1:50.000 scale for natural hazard areas for the entire territory of Romania
• Developing a digital terrain model for Romania using the representation of the relief through the level curves
• Modernization of the national geodetic network of Romania by developing class A, B geodetic networks with the support of GPS technology
• Editing the methodological norms regarding the maintenance and modernization of the Ist-IVrd order triangulation network
• Editing of the methodological norms for data recovery and integration in geo-cartographic databases
• Leveling for permanent GNSS stations to determine the normal height of GNSS Antennas in MN75 height system
• Precision geodetic and oceanographic measurements for connecting tide-gauges to the geometric levelling network and integrating national geodetic networks into EUREF and EUVN European reference systems through precision geometric levelling works and GNSS measurements
• Improving the quality of coordinates for the border points as well as calculating with greater accuracy the country’s surface within the HOTRO project
• National Geodetic Network (NGN) Modernization - Class D NGN GPS measurements and geometric leveling works for the metropolitan area of Bucharest and Ilfov county for common points with GNSS determinations and new points
• Performing precision levelling measurements, GNSS determinations and gravimetric measurements for the determination of a quasi-geoid in Bucharest, precision geometric levelling measurements and GNSS determinations
• Realization of geodetics networks for survey in the areas of the communal territorial administrative units - RGRIC project
• Administration of the geographical information system of RGN, management and updating of databases
• Producing the ortophoto mosaic, cadastral plan and cadastral databases for Năvodari city
• Producing digital plans at 1:5.000 scale for natural hazard areas for the entire territory of Romania
• Editing of digital plans for Craiova, Galați municipalities
• Developing GIS for Constanța municipality
• Developing the database for the points of the national geodetic network, Ist-IVrd orders
• Geodetic and oceanographic measurements for the tide gauges of Constanța, Mangalia, Midia and Sulina ports for time tracking of the variations of the Black Sea level compared to the „0 height” by connecting to the levelling network and integrating the national geodetic networks in the EUREF and EUVN european reference systems - in collaboration with INCDM, according to the Collaboration Agreement with NACLR
• Making inventories and catalogs of geodetic data for 1st-4th order of 13,000 points 1-4 and 135.000 5th order points d for densification;
• Execution and editing of the basic topographic plan in analog format scale 1: 5000 and 1: 2000, by photogrammetric methods and of the cadastral plan derived from them, for 85% of the country's surface, respectively 46.000 originals;
• Updating, restoring and completing Romania's high-precision levelling network, measurements performed during 1974-1990;
• Establishment of the geographic information system - GIS of the national geodetic network of Romania for the 1st-4th order triangulation network, the GPS network classes A, B, C, D, the GNSS reference stations and for the levelling network;
• Design and implementation at the cadastre and land registration offices (OCPI) of the instructions for management of the databases of the 1st-4th order triangulation networks, the GPS network of classes A, B, C, the GNSS reference stations, and the levelling 1st-4th order networks;
• Improving and homogenization of the border points coordinates as well as the calculation with higher accuracy of the country surface within the HOTRO project by transformation of coordinates from different systems into the current Stereographic System 1970;
• Verification of the land areas from the TARRO project by GPS-RTK measurements for establishing the accuracy of the graphical representation of the lands where property titles were issued in 22 counties located in the lowland-mountain areas, within the TARRO project.
• Rehabilitation and modernization of the national precision levelling network with the determination of a quasi-geoid for the counties Satu-Mare, Alba, Bihor, Hunedoara and Timiș;
• Realization of cadastral plans support sc. 1: 1000 - pilot project for the introduction of the general cadastre for Câmpineanca and Obobești communes - Vrancea county;
• Photogrammetric ground control work of the Buzau city for the pilot project – Obtaining the 3D digital plan for 1:2000 scale for the city of Buzau, the county seat of Buzau county;
• Organizing and conducting authorization courses in category E, through professional training programs held at OCPI;
• Leveling for normal height determination of the GNSS reference stations in Black Sea 1975 altitudes system (1990 edition) for entire Romania;
• Execution and editing of the basic analog topographic plans by photogrammetric methods and of the derived cadastral plan, for 85% of the country’s surface, respectively over 46.000 originals.
• Creating and editing of the cadastral map of Romania1:50.000 scale and partially 1:25.000 scale;
• Updating and completing the topographic reference plan in digital format corresponding to the 1: 5,000 scale, TopRo5, version 2-3, by processing the mosaic of orthophoto images 1: 5.000 scale executed between 2008-2014;
• Creating the parcel plans for administrative-territorial units from Prahova County;
• Analysis, shaping and integration in a database of cadastral documents and information within the pilot project of the administrative-territorial unit, Țandarei, Ialomița county;
• Creation and delivery to ANCPI of space data sets and related metadata within the INIS project, in accordance with the INSPIRE directive;
• Establishing plan and map types and developing a procedure for editing and printing them based on data from the TARRO project, within the CARTOEDIT project.